Palazzo Marino (Milan City Hall)
|If you find this useful or interesting...
or just like it - please let others know:
Palazzo Marino in Milan
Palazzo Marino is a palace in Milano city centre, named after Tommaso Marino, a banker and trader from Genoa, who was the first owner of the palace in the 16th century. Palazzo Marino is situated between Piazza della Scala and Piazza San Fedele. The streets connecting the two piazzas, each on one side of Palazzo Marino, are Via Case Rotte and Via Tommaso Marino.
Palazzo Marino as Milan City Hall
Since 1781 Palazzo Marino has been owned by the state. On 9 September 1861 it became the City Hall of Milano and it has served this function till these days. The current looks of Piazza della Scala side of Palazzo Marino is from the second half of the 19th century. Before that time, there was another block of buildings which occupied today’s Piazza della Scala. The buildings were demolished to create the Piazza.
The facade of Palazzo Marino facing La Scala was designed by Luca Beltrami, the architect behind many other monuments and landmarks in Milan (and particularly some of the major restoration projects – besides Palazzo Marino and Piazza della Scala also e.g. Castello Sforzesco).
Other buildings next to Palazzo Marino at Piazza della Scala
Topics: Important Buildings, Galleria Vittorio Emanuele II, Luca Beltrami, Milano City Hall, Milano Pictures, Palazzo della Banca Commerciale Italiana, Palazzo Marino, Piazza della Scala, Piazza San Fedele, Teatro alla Scala, Via Case Rotte, Via Tommaso Marino